Sunday 19 October 2008

SS: A MOM CALLED GRANDMA


A MOM CALLED GRANDMA


This was inspired by a snippet of conversation that I overheard one day after church. A little girl came up to one of the Sunday School teachers and asked, "Do you have a mom called Grandma?"


~ ~ ~ ~ ~



Does your Mom have a Mom called Grandma? Mine does, and she loves me a lot. We do so many different things together. My Grandma likes to rock me in a rocker and reads me lots of stories. Don't you love stories? No matter how many I want to have read, she always says yes. Grandma never says she's tired and that's enough stories. I really like that.

Sometimes we bake cookies together. My Grandma lets me sift the flour and then stir things together. I get flour all over me and even some on the floor, but Grandma says, "Don't worry, we'll clean it up later." Then she lets me drop the dough on the baking sheet. My Grandma helps me with that, though.

My favorite kind of cookie is chocolate chip. Mmmmmmmm! But sometimes we make oatmeal with raisins. That's my Grandma's favorite. What kind of cookies do you like best?

I love to go to the library with my Grandma, too! All those books! After I pick some out, we sit down and Grandma reads one or two to me. Other kids like to come over and listen, too. Maybe they don't have a grandma to read to them. Wouldn't that be sad?

I really like it when I get to spend the night at my Grandma's house. We have our baths, then she makes hot chocolate for us. We watch a video together cuddled up on the couch. And then it's story time, and then to bed.

My Grandma tucks me in, listens to my prayers and says one herself, and then my Grandma kisses me on my forehead and she always says "Sweet dreams, honey! See you in the morning." Does your Grandma do that, too?

When we wake up in the morning, my Grandma always gives me a hug and a kiss and says "Good morning, Sunshine!" She's never grumpy in the morning. After we have our breakfast, we pack a lunch with some of the cookies we baked. Then, we go to the park.

I love the park, don't you? I love to play on the slide and the jungle gym best of all. Sometimes Grandma pushes me on the swings, and sometimes she even swings herself. My Grandma says that's her favorite ever since she was a little girl. Grandma even told me a poem about it.

How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down! *

Isn't that a good poem? She knows so many things!

I'm so glad that my Mom has a Mom called Grandma! Aren't you glad yours does, too?

__________
*The Swing, by Robert Louis Stevenson from Child's Garden of Verses

Copyright © 2006 by Judith Ann Neary. All rights reserved. This post is the intellectual property of the author and her heirs. It is not to be copied or reproduced in any form without the author's written consent. Please contact me for further information.

No comments: